Thursday, March 29, 2012

Re: Mind's Eye Re: the rich are mean

lol Any good tips for a 3yr old? Makes for one moody mean'un.
Supposedly I suffer chronically, one good rant a week is enough for me
(same goes)..

On Mar 23, 11:29 am, archytas <nwte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've temporarily swapped the porridge for bran flakes.  Having a day
> off today and having fish and chips later.  Good to know Vam has his
> tubes unblocked!  I am planting my potato crop.
>
> On Mar 23, 3:10 pm, Vam <atewari2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ... mellowness has eased into us like wines or those charming
> > antiques on the Antiques Roadshow.
>
> > All my life, and I believe I could speak of all others as well, I have
> > been creating stories in real life, in full view of others. The last
> > one, which was followed closely by my younger son, who is a chartered
> > accountancy student, deserves a little recount.
>
> > It started in Nov last year, when my small car had clocked about
> > 50,000 km. It had served me faithfully all through the rough and rocky
> > roads it had taken me on, without ever leaving me in the lurch or
> > stranded. I had been noticing its calls for a 'spa' treatment, for a
> > thorough overhaul and replacement of worn parts. A first assessment
> > got a quote of 12,500 in all. I sought a meeting with the franchise
> > owner and demanded 50% discount on Labour and 30% on Material & Parts.
>
> > Wow, wow, wow... the guy and his GM were stunned. The case was
> > summarily denied. I was told they do not give any discount whatsoever
> > on quoted prices. I walked away... And let it be until Jan this year.
> > I called up the GM, reminded him in some detail of our last
> > interaction... substantial works he could bill today, provided... He
> > said, I need to speak to his boss. But I again let it wait until now.
>
> > I landed at his huge Workshop and went straight to the owner while the
> > GM watched. We shook hands and I again refreshed the context and his
> > memory. He explained, begged my understanding, and I his. He called
> > his staff for a review of bill of works. I wanted nothing left out and
> > the bill to be as big as needed, though without any inflation or flab.
> > The quote was 23,500, with several more items added. I knew my car
> > would come out good for the next 3-5 years.
>
> > We went back to boss' table. He was glad of the amount before and I
> > was happy for the gain I would extract on % basis. He said he would
> > take care of my request but did not specify. I agreed. There was
> > something honest and transparent in him and his team. It took an
> > entire day and I was beaming with their care and thoroughness at work.
> > Every progress was reported to me and I'd consent to go over and
> > inspect the results from to time.
>
> > The painting was done late and it required that I leave the car in
> > their care overnight. I asked for the final bill... 23,500... and was
> > back at boss' table. Discount 20% ! Bonus further 2.5%. I paid. Got a
> > drop to home 20 km away. Had the shining darling delivered the next
> > morning.
>
> > A story that got my son's eyes shining with excitement and
> > appreciation. And, a very real understanding of personal stories we
> > need to create all through our lives, involving other people, who in
> > turn will be a part of the same story with some gladness, and it will
> > be for each one of us as our own. We all could smile upon recall
> > later, but not without having learnt somethings from it and become a
> > better person in the process.
>
> > I received a call for feedback today. Another is expected next week.
>
> > Incidently, another one concluded today... on the issue of a builder
> > who effing mother-effing asrehole had shoved white cement in internal
> > conduit pipes while completing the plaster on walls. I couldn't have
> > my internet for a fortnight because the wires couldn't be passed in
> > internally. Today, I have the broadband connected.
>
> > Which is why you are sensing the buoyancy in the words I am keying in
> > now. I look forward to creating more stories and engineering them to
> > happy conclusion. So, when guys question the efficacy of prayers or if
> > God intervenes in human affairs... I hurry on my steps lest I have to
> > take a stand. The rational thing would have been untrue. And the truth
> > would have been... well, er, irrational !
>
> > On Mar 23, 5:16 pm, rigsy03 <rigs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have 20/40 vision but can't read small print, etc. without glasses-
> > > or sometimes a magnifying glass. After all the reading, stitching, 000
> > > brushwork, mincing, viewing I am surprised I am not as blind as a bat!
> > > I joke that our eyes mist to reduce the flaws of time- like the way
> > > film-makers coated the camera lens on those old misty movies. Camera
> > > controls are a nightmare but I quit that anyway. I still have a rotary
> > > dial phone in the basement, by the way, which intrigues the
> > > grandchildren.//Sometimes I feel like an "oldie" but I think it an
> > > unfortunate phrase since there is so much life left in the time we
> > > have in the now- the future is as brutal with youth, for instance- and
> > > a certain mellowness has eased into us like wines or those charming
> > > antiques on the Antiques Roadshow.// How is that porridge faring?
> > > Mostly I use oatmeal for the base of a fruit/nut muffin which I have
> > > to have on hand or in the freezer. Wouldn't soups be another
> > > alternative and give you some variety of taste as well as nutrients?
>
> > > On Mar 22, 5:44 am, archytas <nwte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > Then they will need i-Phones designed to be as cool as the phones with
> > > > big buttons for us oldies.
>
> > > > On Mar 15, 1:41 pm, rigsy03 <rigs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > Maybe youth will grow enormous thumbs from texting? :-) I need
> > > > > breakfast...
>
> > > > > On Mar 15, 8:36 am, archytas <nwte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > He pressed the wrong buttons setting up the phone and had to come to
> > > > > > me to stop it speaking French.  He's had a new flat pack computer desk
> > > > > > for weeks - I'm on strike as he never learns anything or even hangs
> > > > > > about to do so.  He has shades of Asperger, but his mates are almost
> > > > > > all as bad - except the young Bulgarian kid next door.  In the main
> > > > > > they not only can't be trusted with hammers, saws and the like but
> > > > > > also have no clue how to hit a nail.  Not  much different with IT
>
> > > > > > On Mar 15, 1:14 pm, rigsy03 <rigs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > > The smart phones are "crazy like a fox". There was a segment on local
> > > > > > > news about how they track absolutely everything- even one's address
> > > > > > > book- also interviews with young users who were not alarmed as their
> > > > > > > culture thrives on dirty laundry and letting it "all hang out". There
> > > > > > > are parental controls but not sure they really protect the user in the
> > > > > > > long run. Google, at least, asks permission to share info.
>
> > > > > > > On Mar 14, 8:19 am, Allan H <allanh1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > > > No problem Smart phones are crazy and which is which is crazier  my
> > > > > > > > neighbor has one and my wife just recieved a new HTC Desire from her Work
> > > > > > > >  and I am looking at the Samsung Note  but will probably buy a Electric
> > > > > > > > bike..   they are cool but very expensive  between 2 and 3 grand  for a
> > > > > > > > good one
> > > > > > > > Allan
> > > > > > > > Live is crazy
>
> > > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM, gabbydott <gabbyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > > > > You are right. It could have been the number of times I read Neil
> > > > > > > > > mentioning his iPhone investment in his notes. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> > > > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Allan H <allanh1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > > > >> the 4 refers to the iPhone model   you really should have popped the
> > > > > > > > >> extra cash and got him a samsung galaxy Note,,
> > > > > > > > >> Allan
>
> > > > > > > > >> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM, gabbydott <gabbyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > > > >>> The price for so much stinginess and spreading so much bound bad energy
> > > > > > > > >>> is protective deafness and  self controlled communication and interaction
> > > > > > > > >>> via device rather than man. Or did I misread you and you have already
> > > > > > > > >>> bought him 4 iPhones?
>
> > > > > > > > >>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM, archytas <nwte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > > > > >>>> The rise of democracy, modern capitalism and well-paid jobs is little
> > > > > > > > >>>> understood I guess - otherwise we'd have an economics that worked from
> > > > > > > > >>>> decent livelihoods up.  In war we feed our soldiers a pound of meat a
> > > > > > > > >>>> day (other than in logistic cock-ups and Haliburton rip-offs - that's
> > > > > > > > >>>> where Thomas Cook the travel agent started) - but our trainees are now
> > > > > > > > >>>> so poor they skip at least one meal because they can't afford it.  We
> > > > > > > > >>>> need creative thinking with a critical edge - I've just started a
> > > > > > > > >>>> Johan Lehrer book that is out Stateside but not here until next month
> > > > > > > > >>>> that says lack of the critical kills creativity dead.
> > > > > > > > >>>> My starting point is that science is value-laden (it's surely a value
> > > > > > > > >>>> to want truth rather than fable) and the facts are so intolerable to
> > > > > > > > >>>> most they are avoided (there is a Freudian ring here - reality is
> > > > > > > > >>>> pushed under cover).  To remove poverty (at least materially) the
> > > > > > > > >>>> obvious start is the provision of livelihoods and accommodating our
> > > > > > > > >>>> economics and law to that.  It's surely clear we don't and have been
> > > > > > > > >>>> removing points of resistance like trade unions and meaningful voting.
> > > > > > > > >>>> I've just bought my grandson an i-Phone 4S against my better judgement
> > > > > > > > >>>> and in favour of the pressures he lives in in the teenage set.  I
> > > > > > > > >>>> don't know what to tell him about the truth on Apple,
>
> ...
>
> read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment