Thursday, September 23, 2021

Mind's Eye Re: Belief vs knowledge

A nice reverie, Lee. I guess I depend on consensus reality, what I can sense and perceive that others demonstrably sense and perceive. 

I like to research, medicine, science, philosophy, theology, religion, art, music...so many things. I suppose consensus reality comes into play here too. Preferences or information with which I affiliate my knowledge and mental tendencies. For instance, it seems to me that every religion has a mystical tradition, and all of those have quite a bit in common. In practice, I've found that the mystical traditions offer me more than any others, so my beliefs probably fall into line with them.

Can I suspend bias, and be open to new information that my experience offers me? Sometimes I wonder if people can recognize anything new in their experience even though it is there. Entrenched in a bias that prevents perception from even allowing it to be recognized or become part of their experience. 

If we all had no bias or structured belief, we might have less individual truth or reality, and more universal truth and pure awareness in our experience. It is a long road to get there, paved with introspection and self correction to shed the mental constructs we've been taught since birth.

On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 4:50:23 AM UTC-4 leerev...@gmail.com wrote:

Morning all.

I can't post or respond to posts using the mobile website, so RP I will reply when I get home...

In the meantime....

How much do you know vs how much you believe?

Many of you here know me, some of us go back a decade or more, (hello to those new to me and I to them)@ I've been online for some 35 odd years or so and have much forum experience.  Which is all to say, this not my first ride.

I've been thinking for as long as I can remember. I know some stuff but believe much more stuff and disbelieve a great amount of stuff too.

I've been back and forth with atheists sooo many times that I think I know thier concerns with theism, well at least the anti thiest athiest.

It's about reason. They tell me that belief without evidence is unreasonable. And yes I suppose it is.  So they smile at me when I say this, and assume they've won...

But isn't that just a description of what belief is? Holding something to be true, that has not been shown to be so....

So I ask them, are you loved?

Yes I am, comes the reply.  But can you prove that?

Well of course, my partner shows me every day by their words and actions...

Nice, I say, I'm happy for you, love is powerful, being loved is great isn't it..

But can you show that your partner is not deciving you?

Well no you can't.  Because no matter how you try, you just cannot prove that what an other thinks is as they claim it.  So ultimately you must believe...

I'm a pragmatist, a realist, but also a thiest and here's the rub, a nilhist too boot.

Seems contradictory no? A pragmatic and nilhistic religious bloke.
It's not and I can readily explain how, but perhaps in another thread at another time. Here and now I'm speaking about belief and knowledge.

Objective reality exists. Can I prove that?
Nope.  Ultimately Decartes' cogito ergo sum, does not work for me. 

I think, therefore I am...

But I cannot conclusively show that the demon is not dreaming of me as A thinking being, any more than I can prove I'm not a brain in a jar or in any other way a simulated being....

I call Descartes' wondering the first belief.

I believe that I am real and live in a real universe, upon that foundational belief hangs all the other beliefs I hold and the very few objective facts I can claim as knowledge. 

What about you lot?





Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups ""Minds Eye"" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to minds-eye+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/minds-eye/7101c6b9-9fd7-4650-9fb9-a7cf5c80e829n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment